CryptoTaxCalculator has been around for almost three years. I first started this project back in 2018 after copping a $2k quote from an accountant to sort out my degen trading activity.
At the time most of the crypto tax platforms were built to facilitate the rather simple Bitcoin protocol, which was limited to mostly buying and selling on centralized exchanges. However I was a big fan of the Ethereum protocol, and had been trading on a few DEXs as well as participating in over 20 ICOs. Needless to say, getting my taxes sorted using the existing tools was a near impossible task. Instead I built a script to read from the Ethereum blockchain and automatically categorise transactions.
Fast forward to 2020 and the app had helped thousands of crypto enthusiasts with their crypto taxes. Along the way we learnt some big lessons and decided to double down on the app, rewriting the backend so that we could quickly support the thousands of new financial products emerging in the crypto space. This turns out to have been a wise decision. The crypto space has since rapidly exploded, our app has seen dramatic growth, we have greatly expanded from a one man shop to a team of ten, and it is now easier then ever to get your taxes sorted.
- Integrated support for marign/futures/options trading on major exchange such as Binance, BitMEX, Bitfinex, Bybit, Liquid, Kraken, FTX, and Deribit.
- Automated on-chain cetegorization of DEX protocols such as Uniswap, OasisDEX, Kyber, Airswap, Balancer, Maker, and Sushiswap.
- Automated support for DeFi protocols such as Compound, AAVE, and Synthetix.
- Support for staking across CEX and DeFi solutions including Sushiswap, Kraken, Celsius, NEO, and Crypto.com.
- Support for Specific ID (LIFO, HIFO) inventory methods.
- Support for Canada and UK with their unique inventory rules.
- Additional support for over 100 exchanges.
- A complete redesign of the UI/UX
- Performance upgrades that allow you to calculate taxes on up to 100,000 transactions in under 5 seconds.
We have now built out the foundational pieces to become the most comprehensive tax software in the crypto space. Our next priority is significantly expanding the "long-tail" support for crypto users. This includes:
- Better tooling to analyze your trade history performance and the impact of future trades on your tax obligations.
- Deeper support for local exchanges in the Canada, UK, and non-English speaking markets.
- Significant expansion of our native blockchain support for up and coming protocols.
If you have anything you would like us to support we would love to hear from you! Just drop us a line on the in-app chat support.
All content in this article is general information only and does not constitute financial, tax or legal advice. It is not intended to be used by anyone for the purpose of financial advice, legal advice, tax advice, tax avoidance, promoting, marketing or recommending to any other party any matter addressed herein. For tax, financial or legal advice please consult your own professional.